These days when it comes to the Critical Infrastructure sectors, the only constant we can rely on is change. Because of this constant evolution and push to do more with less, many companies are starting to feel the pressure that comes about with all this change. Whether it’s the generational expectations in our workforce as Boomers retire, Generation X–er’s aging in the workforce, or the new influx of Millennials and Zoomers, your business needs to be able to effectively communicate and work with all of the groups. Each generation has different motivations and priorities – below are a few ideas on how you can use technology to bridge generational gaps and create trust within your organization for retention.
- Empower your employees with tech – new generations come with new technologies. With the proliferation of the smart phone, your company has new avenues to meet your employees where they are and empower them to better performance. Whether this is tech to get your work orders straight to their mobile device to avoid driving to the service center, or an app that helps them do a shift bid or PTO request right from their phone. You can utilize tech to make your employees lives easier – all while impacting your bottom line.
- Attract New Workers – This point goes hand and hand with strategy number one. When you need to attract an influx of new skilled workers into your critical infrastructure company, put technology in place to attract them. Millennials and their younger counterparts love any new pieces of tech they can get their hands on and master– especially if it means they don’t have to pick up a phone and call someone. Why not give them what they want with an app that would let them trade shifts or accept overtime hours with the click of a button?
- Audit your changes – When we talk to critical infrastructure companies, one of the biggest complaints is their challenges with disorganization, disparate systems that don’t share information, and lack of accountability when there is a discrepancy. Don’t want these headaches? Use your data! By utilizing software that will harness the power of automation, you can establish a rich, deep reporting repertoire that will record any and all actions taken, work completed and shifts managed in one place.
- Start at the top and involve every layer – As progress transforms your industry, be sure you are communicating with every level of your business to find out just what their needs are. One of the biggest steps you can take as a business toward successful change management is to be self–aware of what your employees need to be successful at ALL levels of business, from your C suite on down.
- Build Partnerships – The fact of the matter is that change comes quickly and never stops, and we must be prepared for that. Reaching out as a company to see what resources and tools are out there should be paramount. You can’t know what tech there is to give your workers if you’re not looking.
That’s where ARCOS can come in. We have over 25 years’ experience helping companies in the critical infrastructure sectors keep up with today’s fast paced world of technology to retain and attract your workforce – and we can help you with this whirlwind of change. Today we challenge you to work smarter and not harder.